Monday, June 28, 2010

RMC students out on bail

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have set free five Royal Military College boys on bail yesterday evening, even though the seven-day remand order had yet to expire.

They were alleged to have been involved in the death of Mohammad Naim Mustaqim Mohamad Sobri, 16, last week.

Cheras deputy police chief Supt Abdul Rahim Hamzah Othman said all five fifth formers had been questioned
and their statements taken since Monday.

"We have released all five students today on bail but they will still have to report to us if we need to question them again."

Police are also waiting for the post-mortem results before handing over the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor.

Earlier, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Zahid Hamidi had said one of the students was expelled from RMC after investigations showed he allegedly carried out the bullying since beginning of the year.

"A civil suit will take place as well. He will face action from the military, us (the ministry) and the police," he was quoted by Bernama.

The four other students were also suspended from the college, pending outcome of police investigations.

Zahid had said that the ministry took a serious view of bullying cases in military schools and action should be taken to curb and stop the practice.

Naim's death last Thursday, about 12.30am, came to light after one of the doctors at the Armed Forces Medical Centre in the Sungai Besi Camp was told the victim had passed out in his room.

Police said the victim was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) by the doctor for 50 minutes before he was pronounced dead.

It is learnt the incident happened at 12.15am, when Mohammad Naim Mustaqim was apparently asked to do push-ups as punishment. He could not complete the exercise after which one of the seniors allegedly kicked him in the stomach.

When the victim tried to get up, he collapsed after taking a few steps and was carried to his room where he passed out. The doctor was then called in.

The doctor subsequently lodged a report with the Sungai Besi police station at 2am.

The military Provost Marshal Division (CPM) has also formed a special committee to conduct a preliminary investigation into the incident.

Defence Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Abu Bakar Abdullah, who is also RMC chairman, had said the ministry would submit its investigation papers to the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment